Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Picking Up Pennies

PHOTO BY: dawnzy

See a penny
Pick it up
and all day long
You'll have good luck.

I actually stopped in the middle of run today to pick up a penny. It was near the end of the run, I had been thinking about the whole penny picking up thing today, and there it was all gnarly and chewed up, but I had to stop. I didn't want to be a hypocrate and I didn't want to miss an opportunity.

Once I thought there were only two camps of penny picker uppers. Those who did and those who didn't. I hadn't realized that there are actually penny pitchers. Not pinchers, but pitcher-like thrower awayers. My heart skipped a beat when my friend who remains my friend told me she will throw pennies away. I hope now she'll stop or at least throw them out the car window so someone who finds them beneficial can maybe pick them up. Yes, I'm advocating littering, but littering with value. Even if it is only a penny.

I obviously pick them up.

I know they don't carry much value. One can not find penny candy, but I see them as little pieces of opportunity. Like if you are so busy or so beside yourself with importance to not pick one up, then you will be too inwardly focused to see other opportunities that present themselves to you.

That touches the theory of do we manifest opportunity or does plop on a plate in front of us? I think it's a little of both. We are all just a lucky happening that we got born, but what we do with it once sentient and somewhat on our own maybe 20 years later is a whole lot of work on our part and the parts of those who kept us from dying when we were growing up.

At any rate, seeing the penny and stooping to pick it up is more about reminding myself to keep my eyes open and making room for possibilities. It reminds me that little things have value and that regardless of how wealthy I hopefully become (and don't think that's not a goal, it is.) I mean how likely will the universe send me something meaningful if I choose to be oblivious to the little things or think I'm too significant to care about a penny?

And Deirdre, I still love you. BTW, I'm renaming all my friends for The Book. And no, you don't get a say.

3 comments:

  1. Not even a little say? I mean the Most Totally Rocking Kick Ass Kind of Girl is kind of a longish name but it does fit. Sorta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have thought about this often since that day- and I've seen multiple pennies which I debated on picking up. Most of the time I left them where they were- mostly because I saw them in dirty places, but also a part of me was hoping someone else would come along and appreciate finding it more than I would have. I think you could really develop some character traits associated with each of the three categories.
    p.s. I like my name. :)

    ReplyDelete