Saturday, March 14, 2009

Freaking OUT

Photo:Perfesser_bear

I don't usually say I'm scared and burst into tears.

I don't usually reveal that kind of stuff in the space either.

What's going on with me today?

I'm just a few weeks away from graduating from school. I've been at it for 5 years. I do deserve to get done with it at some point.

Add one more week to that and I'm getting parts of my body lobbed off. They are parts I don't want, not like an arm or anything. It's my excess skin, but really it's still mine and it's going to be costly and painful and disruptive to my daily flow.

I'm scared of all the changes.

Oh and they are happening in close succession because I'm a master with a Gantt* chart and I typically make things happen with pretty good timing. A few months ago I considered this good timing.

* I heart Gantt, I read his biography, and I don't normally read biographies.

There's a trip to Las Vegas in during the weekend between the two major life changing events as well. Yeah, I'm that good or that crazy depending on your point of view.

So after I burst out into tears, my person, who knows me pretty well, went on to ask about the surgery recovery. She playfully stated that by the end of the six weeks I'll have my coaching business up and running and my book written.

I said, "You think you're being funny, but that's kind of the plan."

She said, "I wasn't being funny. I know that's how you operate."

There is no mystery to me.

And really, the plan is to be enrolled in some coaching certification program before then and to solicit agents for the book. Which means writing bits and bios and outlines and comparing like books. Also doing research on the coaching programs out there. Who knew there were so many?

But also cool, saying things out loud, to people like my on-line professor, such as, "Executive coaching is my ultimate career goal" got an offer to hook me up with someone she knows who is doing it for real, locally.

So yeah, Julianna doesn't have a plan past the end of May and she's freaking out 8 different ways.


4 comments:

  1. Wow, Julianna, it sounds like you have earned the right to freak out quite a bit. That is so much change all at once. Takes it out of a gal, that's for sure.

    Wishing you a speedy recovery from surgery. I have full confidence that you'll figure out what happens in June and beyond when the time is right. You sound like you've got it pretty well put together, to me!

    (Although, I might suggest you build a little downtime into your next Gantt chart. ;-) Maybe that should be your plan for June!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Victoria. You definitely have the right to freak out as many ways as you want. This is what change brings to our lives. It takes time to settle down again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Victoria

    Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'll do my best.

    @IJB

    You are the master of change. I'll believe you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julianna--

    One of my Internet cronies pointed me to your blog today, and I came roaring out here to ream you a new one for using one of my photos without permission. Once here, I see that it's used exactly according to my restrictions, right down to the flickr credit. Now I understand the up-tick in hits March 15th and 20th...

    That said, I read this entry, then several others. Whew -- powerful stuff. I also turned my life around; from Security Guard to Computer Scientist in twelve years and 10,000 easy lessons. Now I;m working on the weight thing (down from 272, stuck around 240) but I think you have provided the motivation I needed today. If I had half your will power, I'd probably be rich and powerful today. But maybe tht wouldn't be such a good thing!

    --Perfesser

    ReplyDelete