Sunday, January 4, 2009

Back Story

The Lunch Lady to MBA blog is about this whole giant transformation I've been going through and what's going to poop out on the other side.

"poop" nice.

Also, it's about me writing to improve my writing and finding a voice that will help me get my message out to the masses. However many of the masses there may be. But getting the message out is part of the giant master plan to dominate my life and rule the world and by that I mean live the life of MY own design that is fulfilling and brings me joy. I'll be ruling my own world, and by that I mean experiencing it in a way that gives me happiness, brings me peace and expands my learning.

Also it means that I can get the all the gooey good feelings I'm manifesting for myself out in a way that will help others get all that they want from their life.

You see here's a little back story to the whole thing.

I was the last of four kids born to a mom who believes in the power of the universe to create destiny, which is awesome. But it typically takes the universe a few years to make something meaningful out a life and a whole lot shit can go bad while one is waiting for that to happen. Leaving kids to make choices for themselves instead of guiding them under the guise of universal shaping could be called neglect by some. And while no one spent too much time in jail we floundered a bit.

Let's just say I was too busy getting by to grow a career in my twenties. And let's just say for most of my thirties I was too scared once I got my feet beneath me to venture further than working my job that paid my bills and gave me a little money to travel now and again.

But then something happened. We got a baby. Then I got alone with my baby. Then I had bills, a baby to care for and only one income. And being scared just didn't seem like a viable way to get through the hard stuff which was looming. So I thought. And I thought some more.

And I thought the only thing I know to be true and unchanging is that I have a kid. She needs things like shoes, certainly, but also a roof, a life full of traditions, a path laid before her and a momma who is healthy and energetic enough to show her that path. And with that in mind I started to think about change.

What ever was could be different.

When I beat myself up through my 20s and 30s, which surprises most people it didn't happen that often, but the message was always consistent, I was overweight and under educated. And not just a little overweight. I tipped the scales at what I'm best guessing as 350 plus pounds. And I had only a few quarters of college under my belt.

I was working as a cafeteria manager, hence the Lunch Lady thing in the title. And there are times when I think being obese in that environment is like an alcoholic working in a bar, but then I know plenty of obese people who don't work with food. They get their food fix not at work. I just got mine cheaper. Funny I wrote, "was" but truth is "am" is the proper tense. I still work there, I'm still a Lunch Lacy. But I've gone back to school. I got a BS in business management and I'm 12 weeks away from finishing my MBA.

Oh but the weight. Yeah, I've lost close to 175 pounds. A little surgery, gastric banding, has helped get the eating under control and actually getting in tune with my body by exercising all kinds of way has made me blow the statistics out of the water for results. I'm really pretty impressed myself.

Stats are all well and good, but what's freaking incredible about the whole thing is I've done both of these transformational things at the same time, blindfolded, with my hands tied behind my back, walking uphill in the snow.

No, no, no. What's incredible about this experience is that I like me better.

No, I like you better. I do. I have to say that I like humanity better as a whole because I am kinder to myself. It feels good. I want to be kinder to you too. It keeps my stress level down. I'm not kidding it's not altruistic at this point. Perhaps later it will become that, but now, here it's about me not wanting to carry around a bunch of anger because of others.

But no, wait there's more. And really, I'm not liking my writing style, well, I am but it's becoming a bit disjointed, the best part about the process of going eh, my life sucks, what can I do to make it better, DOING JUST THAT, and coming to nearly close to very end of that process, is I want to help other people do it too.

Why? Because I can. The MBA gave me access to all kinds of fun business lingo, [there's a post in there somewhere about how business folk see the margin in "groovy process" and the theories are not out of bounds or beyond them] and they are my market, nah audience, the target of my message. Also, it's the community which pays more.

I didn't go back to school at 40 for the educational liberal arts experience. I'd being doing textile design if I did, I went back to get a job. A better paying one at that. Because as well as I do get paid, and the Lunch Lady gig is pretty sweet, that one income is hardly enough to provide for me and my kid. And honestly landing me a mate just to help pay the bills doesn't sound that appealing either. I girl needs to pay her own way.

And by the way , there is a mate but it's a long distance relationship thing. So we each have our own bills to fend for. The conversations of co-buying furniture and other fun things play huge in our hypothetical future lives story making time, but I digress.

So, well there you go. I didn't like where I was. I chose where I wanted to be. I created a path with doable sized pieces, did it and what do you know? The path while ending in the general area I set out upon is vastly different/better than I ever imagined it would be.

And anyone else who wants to change can.

No comments:

Post a Comment