Monday, January 19, 2009

New Day

I was in the car for 5 hours today listening to the radio; NPR, Tom Joyner, just plain regular stuff in northern Indiana. It's a historic day. MLK today and the inauguration tomorrow, it's hard to miss the significance of it all. I'm just happy to see a new face in the White House.

What's there to say that's not been said over and over again?

I'm also happy to see MLK day become a national day of service. The kiddo and I bought and delivered (well tried to, but they were closed observing the day) food to the local pantry. We'll drop it off tomorrow, but the point was made.

She helped pick out the fruit cups, tuna, soup cans and peanut butter. She asked questions like why not loaves of bread and frozen peas. We got our boots on and schlepped the 300 feet down the alley to the pantry. Really, it's that close, one little block away, and we go so infrequently.

Shame on us.

But yeah to us, too because I see $20 in groceries to be donated as part of our monthly budget. It's easy and important. It's good karma. It will assure that we will always have food. I believe that deep in my heart.

The kiddo talks of "karma". She gets immediate bad for bad, but doesn't see good for good or good now for distant good. Regardless, I'm glad she gets it on her 7 year old level. Beats thinking Jesus is going to get you!

She's been delightful the last couple of months.

Things in general are looking up, the kiddo, my schooling only has 10 weeks left, new adventures for work, getting into some body work, the love of my S.O., and politically change is happening. Hard to be bored.

No comments:

Post a Comment